Sunday, May 2, 2010

Poster Light Box - The Innerds

I needed a way to attach the Plexiglas and the frame to the foam board, So I cut 4 blocks oit of a strip of wood I had lying around. glued them in to each corner.

The next thing I needed to solve was how to attach the rope lights and how to keep it from melting the foam in the back wall. I found some yardsticks at Wal-Mart for $0.50 each.  I glued them down at even intervals  and screwed down the clips that came with the rope lights at about a 7" interval along each  yard stick.

Next in order to reflect all the light out of the glass side of the box, I used double sided tape to attach aluminum foil shiny side up.
The next thing was to install the light rope.

Once the lights were in I had to cut a large hole in the bottom of the box in order to get the power cord in. In order to close this hole up, I taped electrical tape around the powercord on the outside of the box untill it almost completely covered the hole.
I wanted to use LED rope lights, But due to the severely overpriced LED lights at the only place in town that I found them, I was forced to go with the regular incandescent rope lights. This produced a new problem that I had to solve which I did when I was trying to decide how to attach the rope lights in the box, HEAT! In order to deal with this new factor I cut in some vent holes in the top of the box, and placed a piece of foam board over the holes on the outside using some very small nuts as spacers.
 as you can see here I wasn't too worried about it being straight as It's on top of the box and will be very difficult to see once it's hanging on the wall. and you can see the paint still drying in the photo.

No comments:

Post a Comment